School food standards: checklist for lunch provision
Use this quick checklist to help assess your school lunch provision against the new standards.
School food other than lunch
Whether you’re a school cook, a catering company or childcare provider offering wrap-around care, you’ll need to be sure you’re meeting the standards for school food – right across the day.
- Guidance about meeting the standards for school food other than lunch
- Checklist for provision of school food other than lunch (interactive PDF)
Hot provision menus
Example one-week school lunch menus, these menus have been nutritionally analysed to meet current SACN energy, sugars and fibre recommendations.
- Primary schools spring/summer menu – October 2015
- Primary schools autumn/winter menu – October 2015
- Secondary schools autumn/winter menu – October 2015
Cold provision menus
Example one-week school lunch menus
How to limit sugars and increase fibre: A guide for schools and school caterers in England
In July 2015, new recommendations for sugars and fibre intakes were published for adults and children in the UK. This practical guide outlines these recommendations, the reasons for them, and provides practical tips how you can limit sugars and increase fibre in food and drinks you provide for children.
Producing and sharing allergen information
A guide to support schools and school caterers in England to meet EU and UK allergen labelling requirements
A list and definition of drinks permitted in schools in England
Our summary drinks table lists and defines the type of drinks that can be provided in schools, along with the legislation that underpins the drinks standard.
British Seasonal Food Chart
This food chart highlights vegetables, salad, fruit, meat and fish. It plots their availability across the year and the nutrients they provide.
Recipes meeting the standards
Ready to use and nutritionally analysed, these cards can be used to form part of your compliant menu cycle and cover:
- Meat Main Meals
- Fish Main Meals
- Vegetarian Main Meals
- Fruit-based dessert recipes and tips
- Meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy protein recipes and tips
- Wholefood recipes and tips
- After school snack recipes and tips
- Nutrient-dense grab-and-go recipes and tips
- Vegetable recipes and tips
- Mid-morning break recipes and tips
- Dairy recipes and tips
- Vegetarian recipes and tips
- Fish recipes and tips
A comparison of standards for school food across the United Kingdom
This document summarises the food-based and nutrient-based standards for school food in place in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.